Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Demon Flower Painting


The demon flower (Find the Jusha), an acrylic painting from July 2011.
This painting was scanned on March 7, 2017. 

I had shared a basic photo of this 12x14'' painting on a post for the word "Perennial" during my dabbling days for Illustration Friday, a long left behind past time. 

Since then I've discovered how to scan and assemble larger images such as this, and am now sharing the updated version of the painting, over the original photograph with poor lighting. 

All the details and history of the piece can be seen on the original "Perennial" post. This is basic Reeves acrylic painting on standard, mixed media paper. It took about 15 hours of on/off work (the most time consuming part being the thorns).

To this day I find the painting eye popping, the memory of the past captured in the brush strokes. Every time I look at it, I remember who inspired it, and I remember why I made it. My memories of certain things have been captured in a painting, and that can be both sad, yet inspiring.

For fun I wanted to play with color settings on the image, liking the look of a vibrant green flower with blue vines, along with a purple and odd, reddish purple vine color. The two seem like a very poisonous plant which may naturally glow in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment