Friday, January 20, 2017

Good Goodies from Dec-Jan

(Dec. 7, 2016)

During December through January, and a bit before these two months, I had some shopping adventures and came across small goodies which I hope to play with in the months to come.

On the seventh of December I got an animal coloring book and a pair of socks from Big Lots, then went on to find other things at the Dollar store next door. 
I've been in search of that animal coloring book for awhile, specifically for certain images in it. The pictures in the book have inspired ideas for a few collage experiments, and even concepts for a couple quilt patterns.
At the Dollar store next door to Big Lots I found nail art accessories, wanting to play with the small fruits and super tiny gems. Of course I'm not going to use them for my nails, but rather for creating miniature desserts, drinks, and jewelry.
I also found some cute wall stickers with birds on them that will be perfect for decorating a few book covers, and the calendars are for collage and just to look at.

I got different, snarkier ideas for the quotes of the one calendar (Follow Your Dreams- left), liking the art, but preferring a bit more snark as far as quotes go. I may one day embrace the idea to make my own calendar of odd humor.
There are a few things I got a bit before the month of December which have been part of my Christmas list in a way, one of those things was this Floral Fair paper stack I got for ten dollars at Joahn's. I love the paper in this stack, especially the colors.

Back around Jan. 27, I was brought this carved wooden spoon. I admit it, I do like the look of it. Cute woodland things make me happy, and the spoon is actually quite heavy. I may not use the spoon for anything gooey, sticky, or chunky. This might be one of those, for stirring broth and drink based things only....otherwise the design will get gunked. I like the etching of the wood, which I think is a result of laser cutting.


Talisman Designs is the company I guess.

Jan. 3, 2017

On Jan. 3 while I was at a Tuesday Morning, I  got a shameful splurge of scrapbook stuff. 45, 75, and 99 cent items are totally worth it considering the original price of each item. It totaled to around 8 dollars, and even at that price it felt shameful to indulge myself in more things that I don't technically need.

However, I will find uses for all of these things, and ideas have already come to mind. The oceanic stuff will most likely end up in some journals that are island based, to match some tropical scrapbook paper I have in my stash. 
Mushrooms and tree tabs are helpful for an Autumn and fairy book. The silly Smash book fish will no doubt find its way into my Alaskan Salmon journal, and the rest will be helpful in day to day journaling.  All these things will probably show up in multiple projects in the near future, which I hope to share.

Jan. 19, 2017

Some salt lamps became an interesting edition to the house. We have salt lamps at three different spots, one on my desk, one on the kitchen table, and one at someone elses desk.
The salt lamps are pretty all by themselves, but I have a few photography ideas in mind for them, ones involving figurines admiring the light.

This may be an odd thing to take interest in, but I liked the art aspect of these bottles brought home one evening. It's a mineral water called Topo Chico, interesting brand I've never heard of, no doubt because it's a product of Mexico. It was found at an herb store during an outing.

The caps of these bottles are what caught my eye. A beautiful piece of art was displayed in blue and red over yellow. I was simply captivated by the picture, and instantly stated, "Keep the caps". I plan to use these in art, either as pendants, or bottle cap paper clip toppers.

Something about the placid look of the Mayan man makes me feel so relaxed. I also find his form to be hansom.

Also, almost a month ago, this paper stack was brought home, and I was asked to keep track of it till someone wanted a sheet or two to use.

It still remains on the sewing machine table in the kitchen, but I have considered taking it to my craft desk at some point. Some of the designs are rather inspiring, and oddly pretty. I had a plan for one of them, to create a fairy themed pop up card with mushrooms and trees. This idea came to mind as a birthday gift, but I was too late in the idea and never made it.
The paper was handed over to a sibling not long after that, and I simply kept record of the paper stack name in case I ever want my own stack before it retires.

There are a bunch of other odd things which had been delivered to the house during the month, and one of them which I find to be very interesting is this sparkly rainbow privacy film for sticking on windows.
The stuff is really neat, it's basically a plastic that sticks to slick surfaces, and is very much like a heavy weight plastic tablecloth. I can only wonder how they got it to sparkle like real glass.
The look and texture of it has inspired ideas on how it could be used as fake windows in miniature props, or as a floor in still life photography. 

 Jan 20, 2017

During a cleaning splurge through one of the rooms that started a few days before Jan 20, I was handed a bunch of stuff from a sibling that will likely end up in the craft corner.

Some craft books were handed to me, which I proceeded to tuck away into the craft book shelf. I was also given a whole stack of nature painting magazines, odd little books from Idaho on anatomy, and beading magazines.
Among the paper goods, I was also given dried insects for placing into resin, old Southern seed order books for gardening, outdated farmer's almanacs, a purple diary with kittens on it, and a stationary box that partially matched the style of the diary, the contents within still useful for putting in journals. 
I kept a large portion of the things given to me in a cardboard box, as shown above. All the magazines and papers have been kept in here, all but the diary and a few Native American crafts which were also handed to me.

Another thing from over a week ago is this grab bag of chains and trims. During our visit to Joan's I gravitated towards the jewelry section in search of lobster claws and jump rings for a few projects. Then I noticed a grab bag with chains in it, an uncommon thing to find on the stash rack which usually just has a lot of random beads.
As I stared at the bag, my mind raced with ideas on what all I could use these chains and trims for, especially for making pretty doll accessories. Later when I opened the bag, I thought of even more uses. I'll likely talk about the projects that come out of this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment