Friday, February 19, 2016

Homemade Jelly Plate- Painted Papers experiment

 I've had the room and relaxation to play with paints and inks, experimenting with my homemade jelly plate and also experimenting with a bit of watercolor for a few planned illustrations. This is last nights experiment.

Ran out of drying room after eight textures were created and set them aside to dry. You can see at the other end of the table to the right I have another project going on, another big junk journal in the making, currently just a cover in need of signatures.
Each of my texture experiments hold an illustration in them which has to be defined, but I've already found ideas in the papers and hope to make illustrations out of them soon. 

The left image was created using acrylic inks on the jelly plate, transferred to watercolor paper. And to the right you can see my main watercolor experiments, the bottom image and the one above it painted with a brush. These are my planned illustrations in the making.
My first acrylic ink test is very vibrant and I love the way it turned out, finding there are a few things I could do with it. I hope to share the end results once I do make something from it.
 
 Because I love jungle and woodsy scenes, I asked my brother to show me how to paint a scene, and the result was technically his painting. I wanted a jungle background for an illustration idea I hope to make for fun, the original watercolor possibly in line for keeping as is and used digitally for the picture I had in mind.
 Final clean up papers (left) will become pictures as well. I used basic card stock to clean off remaining ink on the plate and this was the result. After all that I used paper towels (right) to clean off the plate, finding the ink looks nice on them too, so I'm keeping them as elements for illustration as well.
 For the curious, here's what I keep my jelly plate in, an air tight Masterson paint container. Got it at A.C. Moore on sale, and it's proven to work very well for storing the plate.
 
The lid of my box had pegs which had to be sawed off (upper left corner), but it wasn't too much of a problem to do that. I keep plastic wrap under the plate for easier removal from the box.

Only thing I found is that there are small bubbles in the plate which catch inks slightly, but they didn't prove to be an issue during transfer, I just have to make sure the paper towel soaks up all pigment from them. tiny enough to be mostly insignificant to the process.

For those who would like to know how to make your own jelly plate instead of paying out the nose for a silicon one, check out A Glorious Experiment! jelly plate DIY post by Mixed Grill Favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment