Monday, January 12, 2015

Retro Days- Coffee, cooking, laundry

 Retro Days, a small series of images I made using some family member photos.
My mom wanted me to make these for the longest time so they could be added as fun extras to the Retro Cookbook to mark sections for cooking and cleaning. 

Isn't the coffee one fun? It was my first try, the style based off Claudine Helmuth's collage pieces. 
I used scanned scrapbook papers, mostly from the "Modern Homemaker" collection by October Afternoon.

Doing digital collage is so much easier when it comes to clothing overlay and perfect object resizing. 
I used two different scanned paper choices to make the cute dress, and added in matching jewelry to cover up details that didn't match the theme. Plus I took parts of other pictures to get the look I needed; the arm holding the cup once held a candle.

Retro Days "Baking" has to be one I love because of the expression. The entire image was based off the expression, and I added in what fit. Why she's wearing a fancy hat thing? We'll just say she's just coming home and trying to decide on what to make.
I made two versions, one colored, one black and white. I prefer the colored version personally. Also if you look really close, I even added words to the note she's holding to make it look like light shining through the paper. The one hand drawn element in the image is the cookbook holder.
 Retro Days "Ironing". A more comical section of the series for house keeping in the laundry/detergent section. 
I love the expression here, he's just so happy ironing a sock. Why a sock? (easier to draw) :P I enjoyed adding different elements and wrinkles to the shirt he wears. Plus it's amusing that I took a different head and added it to the body.


I made changes to the image. Left was the first version, had to shrink the lamp and change the shirt collar (this one looked too feminine or cowboyish).
The second version looks better I'll admit, plus the words on the wall are gonna make me laugh always. I mean, being home at the ironing board can't be a favorite hobby of most people. >_<
Couldn't pass the chance of completing the laundry day without a scene where our dude hangs the clothes to dry. This final Retro Days "Laundry Day" image was done for my own enjoyment. After the first one I did, an odd pleasure followed, and I decided to just whip up this fun extra for the heck of it. He's so happy with that blue shirt.
Again, scrapbook papers were use in this, with some hand drawn lines on the corner dress, and a digital painted background.

No comments:

Post a Comment