Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day card and gift

Can't believe it! Some might think this is horrible, but it's been years since I've made a mother's day card for my mom. This time I was going to make it up to her.

To me, the sweetest gift to hand my mom is a card with her favorite picture of a whimsical snail in a fairy ring which I drew back in my childhood on an old paint program. I remember her always telling me how much she loved the picture, always thought it was the cutest thing. That memory popped in my noggin last year, and then this year I found the picture again, and printed it off the computer.

I chose a 5x5 card shape, my background choice being color matching green scrapbook paper. Then I knew it needed some red in order to make those mushrooms stand out, so I used a polka dot stamp and some sparkly red embossing powder (gave it that perfect touch when I was finished).
The inside of the card was fun too. I stamped on some green leaves to match the whimsical woods look, then stenciled on the classic message, and colored it with sparkly red jell pen.

My mom's reaction was great..and surprising enough, she seemed to like the card more so than even the gift listed below.
This is one thing that comes in handy, especially for my mom. A custom set of glasses holders. Me and my sister worked on it as a joint project; I chose out the colors, we both worked with arrangement, and helped construct it together. My mom is always losing her glasses, going around saying "My glasses, I can't find my glasses" just like Velma from Scooby Doo, and has been wanting a holder for a very long time.

I know she loves pink and green, so I used cherry quarts, green ceramic beads, clear seed beads, and green seed beads. I also made sure a chain was added for hanging around the neck, less likely to cause irritation and itching on the skin.
Final step was making a nice presentation, by choosing a small box to hold the necklace, wrapping it with some gold and cream paper, and giving it a final touch with a gold bow. The first thing my mom says upon seeing it is, "What a pretty box." :)

Happy Mother's Day to all, and hope your day has gone splendidly. ^.~

No comments:

Post a Comment