Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Mod Podge Paper, experiment and review

Recently I got myself a bottle of Mod Podge Paper formula glue. This is the first time I've touched any Mod Podge brand glue since a certain point in time where I used the original formula and faced a disappointing first time experience.
      A long time ago I used original formula Mod Podge to stick down and seal paper onto some journal covers; the dry results were sticky and stuck to everything, still do to this day. No worries though, at some point I plan to coat over those journals with a better sealant like Liquitex glazing medium; or maybe even the Mod Podge paper glue, and maybe someday I'll make a video on it.

Before I go any further, I'd like to thank Amy Anderson for making her extremely helpful blog
Mod Podge Rocks! which provided all the information I needed to finally touch Mod Podge again. Mod Podge has made lots of different formulas since the time I touched it, and I was glad to find out what all they had to offer through the Formula Guide section of the "Mod Podge Rocks!" website.
       After reading all about the different formulas and how to use Mod Podge, I was exited and wanted to once more, give it a try . 

My project pile has been increasing quickly, and I wanted a glue that I could use for multiple purposes, and be a fairly runny consistency so I could paint it on and get my gluing done at a smoother rate. The glue that seemed fit for the job was Mod Podge.

My reasoning for getting Mod Podge Paper formula is because it seemed to be the most logical choice for the sort of crafts I do. 
    The paper formula is a little more expensive than original formula, but with a coupon it costs the same price as a regular bottle, so it's not a problem. 
    I chose it because the formula was made to be acid free, in other words, scrapbook friendly. For me that's great, because I do both acidic and acid free projects, usually combining elements of the two together; like putting advertisements onto scrapbook paper, and adding  acidic elements to journal pages. I figure, use the acid free glue and have no worries of what project I'm working on, knowing that the acid free projects will continue to last, and the acidic elements may last longer than before if they were backed with acidic glue on top of their already acidic makeup. This glue seems to be a win in both directions.

I'm still experimenting, and I'm only explaining what I've experienced so far with the glue; no doubt experiences will differ from person to person. I've listed a few of my experiences below from my experimentation so far.

  1. From my experiments I've discovered the Mod Podge Paper formula dries smooth, and isn't sticky. It works well as a glue and a sealant.
  2.  It's good for paper gluing, but doesn't seem quite strong enough for gluing together heavier elements like four layers of thin cardboard. I noticed it doesn't cling well to heavier elements, and the layers will pull from each other while the glue is still wet; I had to put a weight on the projects to keep them together during drying time. I'm not sure if regular Mod Podge formula would work better for this since I haven't used that kind yet, so I settled with using tacky glue for heavier elements as of the moment.
  3. The paper formula takes up to two hours to dry if you use it as a sealant; so if you have a lot of projects, you may want to do things in batches.
 
 I made this video above to get my opinion and experience out on using Mod Podge paper formula. One thing I will add is that I now know bubbles and crinkling are just something which take practice to avoid. If you watch the how to videos on the Mod Podge Rocks website, you'll find out all the things you need to know about using the glue correctly...probably something I should have done beforehand, but was in too big of a hurry to just sit down and get to work, so I just found out how to do stuff before watching the videos;either way I guess it just takes practice to get smooth pages.

To be really honest, my first try came out smooth; my second try had a few bubbles but was still pretty good; and my third try had some wrinkling problems...but  I still like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment