Saturday, August 13, 2011

Magical light of the Summer Night

I know it's sorta late for lightning bugs, but I finally made this picture magical in appearance.

The image itself is from a Dover coloring book that I scanned and printed out on watercolor paper. Then I went and painted it with acrylic. As for the gold designs on the bug, those were my own special touch done with gold jell pen. I guess to give it an even more whimsical feel.

Again, the background that looks like clouds and a coast line in the distance was actually a mistake due to the wash being uneven, so I went with it and sure enough it came out more magical than I intended.

My original intention with this picture was to add a fairy riding on top of the lightning bug, but I decide not to go with it since out of my families opinion it was pretty by itself.

The final touches I added to this picture was done digitally. I went and took images from a Nouveau Dover image CD and then adjusted them to size and added them as flowy plant life in the foreground. After that was finished I added some color to the flowers and added more glow to the lightning bugs. Then to make it feel really night-like I adjusted the brightness, and Ta-da, ended up with the final piece.

Now just because I added in the plants digitally doesn't mean I couldn't have done it with actual collage. Digitally is just less time consuming.....not to mention I don't know how else to get that perfect glow with actual media.

Well hope you enjoyed this picture that in my opinion portrays the magical feeling of lightning bugs in Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment