Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Illustration Friday "Perenniel "


This weeks word on IF has given me an excuse to post an image I did quite some time ago.
This has to be one of the best paintings I've ever done, and I hope that I can do something like this again. With much patience and some Reeves acrylics, painting a masterpiece is possible.

The original reason I made this picture was due to a sketch my friend made while talking to me online. She turned it around and told me "Find the Jusha." I snickered at her sketch with the wavy vine patterns and several sets of red eyes. (In case you're wondering what Jusha is, they're shadow creatures I invented as part of a story line I tell my friend.) Anyway, after looking at her sketch I said, "Ive got an even better version of that forming in mind." Instantly she got excited and insisted I make the picture; so one day I put my mind to it and got to work.

I worked about 15 hours on this piece, that is, over many days time. The hardest and most maddening part of this picture was painting every little thorn on the vines.

As you can see in the picture, I hid faces in the vines and also added many red eyes to the background as part of the whole "Find the Jusha" theme. My original and absolute intention was to make the picture like one of those pages in a hidden picture book. In the end though I feel it ended up becoming a piece of art rather then a seek and count game.

In the case with the whole flower design, it's actually a man eating pod that has an awful smelling nectar, but Jusha absolutely love the smell and taste of the nectar which is a blackish-purple color.

The only thing my family complains about is that I didn't use canvas but rather multimedia paper, which in their eyes is cheap. They just couldn't believe what I made,and yet on not so good quality paper. All I could do is shrug saying it was experimental and I didn't intend for this painting to come out so wonderfully, it just happened. I sorta wish I would have used canvas, but that wasn't till after I made the picture.

Hope you like it as much as I do, enjoy. :)

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love the little creature faces in it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I enjoyed making them part of the vines, and purposely made it so some of the thorn looked like teeth.

    ReplyDelete