Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Illustration Friday "Gesture"


This picture was inspired by an idea I've had for a long time. A story where a mute woman meets a mime who falls in love with her and they both end up becoming mimes.

My brother encouraged me to make something for this week, and I'm so happy he did. I'd also like to congratulate my brother on actually being chosen for pick of the week, "Stay" on IF. His blog is called Panda Advantage, in case you're curious.

I guess you could consider this picture an introduction to the end of the story, which I may write out and illustrate someday.

Here is what the painting looked like without the characters. First I drew everything out, then did watercolor washes for the sky and grass. For the the bushes I used acrylic and a sponge, same technique used in my last IF picture "A Midsummer Knight's Dream"

The Eiffle Tower, a cliche French thing, I know, was surprisingly fun to make. I used my T square and somehow made things symmetrical, not something I feel I'm very good at. After I was done with all the painting I went over the clouds and tower with a marker pen, giving it the same cartoon look as my figures.

Speaking of figures, I drew them on card stock then outlined them with a brush tip pen. For color I used colored pencil. The shadows are pastel, and I tried a little something new other than glue to stick them on. This time I used sticky foam pieces to pop them off the page. It's kinda hard to tell from the picture to notice though.

1 comment:

  1. I love this, such a cute story behind it too. Well done on the symmetrics, not sure I'd be able to do it without wobbly lines lol

    ReplyDelete